How to register a new company
You can register your new company online, and it only takes a few hours. Before you begin, you need to have ready:
- Company Name
- Registered Address
- this is where HMRC and Companies House will send important letters
- it does not have to be the same as the Business Address
- Officer Details (Director and Secretary)
- it is now permitted to have just one director
- Share Capital and Shareholder Details
- share capital is often a nominal £1 or £100
- if you have a partner, this is a good time to decide whether to split the shares between you, and in what proportions
- the £18 fee to Companies House can be paid with a credit or debit card or Paypal
You can go here to register directly with Companies House, but you may well be able to get a better deal by using a Company Formation Agent. They package company registration with other start-up services. For example, they can fast-track your application for a company bank account, and some of them will share with you the introduction fee they get from the bank.
I have had good service from Companies Made Simple, who registered Papercrunch Ltd and fast-tracked an application for a Barclays account.